admin
(@admin)
Admin
29/07/2020 9:16 pm  

ENG513 Language Teaching Methods Assignment 1 Solution & Discussion Spring 2020

ENG513 Assignment 1 Solution idea:

Credit: Maha Malik

Question 1

Language teaching/learning is often regarded as a very difficult process. Learner’s proficiency significantly depends upon the changes in language teaching methods. Keeping in mind different teaching methods, which method would you prefer to use in your English classroom? Also, discuss its implications.(2+8=10 Marks)

Answer:

Different teaching methods:

• The Direct Method. In this method the teaching is done entirely in the target language. ...
  • Grammar-translation. ...
  • Audio-lingual. ...
  • The structural approach. ...
  • Suggestopedia ...
  • Total Physical Response (TPR) ...
  • Communicative language teaching (CLT) ...
  • The Silent Way.

(Select anyone)

(It is a context based question, so whichever type of English classroom you choose will be correct. However, you are advised to answer in context.)

Question 2

Literature empowers students to interact with a text by understanding the language and comprehending the concepts presented. Being an English teacher, how would you teach writing skill through poetry or novel (choose any one)? Justify your answer with two examples of meaningful activities. (5+5=10Marks)

Answer:

Topic: 152

(You have to identify whether you would choose poetry or novel to teach writing skill to your students. Further, you have to create two activities engaging students through poetry or novel and teaching them writing skill.)

You can choose any of the two from the following: (if you are choosing

poetry)

1. Establish theme

Teaching with a theme and its accompanying guiding questions isn't new to most of us, and the majority of teachers maintain a ready repertoire of methods to establish themes for classroom novels or other literature units. The perfect poem, however, can lead to a wonderful writing reflection or discussion that allows students to construct the theme and essential questions for themselves.

1. Explore language

If you're anything like me, you struggle to teach students grammar in way that is motivational or memorable. How many of us can recall learning our parts of speech and verb forms in deadly dull exercise books? While drill and example books might have a place in instruction, I'd recommend some verse to liven up the process of language learning.

1. Focus on facts

Creating poetry is a wonderful way for students to share information they learned through class or independent study. What's fantastic about poetry is that it can bring life to otherwise dry and lifeless facts!

I can recall assigning fourth grade students to create poems for mathematical operations, and as a class creating couplets describing the most important names, places, events, and dates for the American Revolution. Students are incredibly receptive to these challenges! So after checking out some of the examples below, be sure to devise your own lessons to have students write informational poems in class as well.

1. Set a scene

The poems you chose from your syllabus would spark discussion, curiosity, and prior knowledge, ultimately building excitement and anticipation for the new unit. If only all textbooks were nearly as engaging!

1. Inspire writing

If you're seeking ways to get students writing, poetry is an effective vehicle to transport them to success. Take the opportunity to preview Poetry Mentor Texts online at a site; you'll be amazed at the simple steps to sophisticated writing using the lesson ideas presented there. In addition to Poetry Mentor Texts inspiring students to write their own verse, this book will also provide you with ideas for using poetry as a creative response format for other disciplines as well:

Poetry shouldn't be just a part of the language arts curriculum. It offers another way to communicate and demonstrate our understanding of a concept in content areas. It is a method for deepening comprehension and developing a level of empathy and knowledge that can be applied to real-world situations. Poetry can be used to informally assess science and math. It can help students link content areas.

1. See new perspectives

One of poetry's transcendent powers is its ability to refocus, if not totally transform, our point of view. It's far too simple for students (and teachers!) to lose themselves in their egocentric viewpoints, and fail to consider issues from another perspective. Poetry open students' eyes to new ways of seeing.

1. Ignite curiosity

Much has been said in educational texts about inquiry learning. From my own experiences, however, I find that students are naturally inquisitive, and there's not much more we need to do but focus their natural curiosity. Poetry can do this!

1. Provide pleasure

But if we can't convince our students that one of reading's purest functions is pleasure, then I don't think we've really done our job.

So many poems and books of poems exist to fill this classification that I won't even begin to list them all here. So if you have a favorite poem or book you read with students for pleasure.

How is this website, please share your feedback through this link: https://forms.gle/mZ5rsd995RxU2gEZ7
---------------------
WhatsApp Groups Subject wise #QueryVU
Join Now

Share: