Clear all

[Solved] MCM531 Assignment 1 Fall 2021

admin
(@admin)
Admin
Topic starter  

MCM531 Assignment 1 Fall 2021 solution idea:

Question no 1:

Being a journalist, how do you perceive your community?

Answer:

What is journalist`s relationship with the community?

It`s important to be clear about what you think about your community and the role you`re trying to play. You also need to know what people in your community except pf you.

The most explicit you can be about this, the more effective you`ll be as a journalist. Why? Because journalists work in relationship to their community and, the better we understand it, the more effective we can be.

Your perceptions:

. how do you perceive your community?

. what is the basis of those perceptions?

. what kind of relationship do you want with the community?          

Community perceptions

. how do people perceive you and your organization?

. to what extend do people see issues of importance to them reflected in your coverage?

. what level of trust and credibility do people feel toward journalist and your organization?

. what kind of relationship do people want with journalist?

What are your preconceived views?

All of us grow with our own sets of experience, values and ideas about how the world works or should work. Although we do intentionally get looked into our own ways of thinking and perceiving, the filters we bring any situation – including planning stories, choosing source, interviewing and putting together the final package – may prevent us from seeing the world as others do. This may lead us to cover news in way that others find biased.

How do preconceived view affect your journalism?

Account for your preconceived views before you do a story. Ask yourself these questions.

. what do I bring to the story? What is my expertise and experience?

. how I test whether what I know is valid in this situation?

. how do I think about the various actors involved in this story?

. what are my first reactions and/or deeply held options about this issue?

. how do I mange these options and feelings?

. how do I mange my bias when I do research, conduct interviews and tell stories?

. how might someone who thinks differently from me approach this story?

Question no:02

What are some of the characteristics of the relationship between journalism the community and the media in general?

Solution:

While there may be new characteristics to the field, many basic tenets of journalism remain. Search for the truth. Journalism sprang into existence out of the public's need to know and understand their world around them. Few characteristics are given below,

• Maintaining ethical standards.
  • News is always breaking.
  • Technology meets journalism.
  • Search for the truth.

Community journalism:

Community journalism is locally oriented, professional news coverage that typically focuses on the city neighborhood’s, individual suburbs or small towns rather than metropolitan, state, national or world news.

If it covers wider topics, community journalism concentrates on the effect they have only local readers. Community newspapers, often but not always publish weekly, and also tend to cover subject’s larger news media do not. Some examples of topics for students on the honor roll at the local high School, schools’ sports, crimes such as vandalism, zoning issues and other details of community life. However, such "hyperlocal “articles are sometimes issued as "chicken dinner" stories.

Journalism:

Journalism is the production and distribution of reports on current events based on facts and supported with proof or evidence. The word journalism applies the occupation, as well as collaborative media who gather and publish information based on facts and supported with proof or evidence. Journalistic media includes print, television, radio, internet, and in the past, newsreels.

The proliferation of internet, and smartphones has brought significant changes to the media landscape since the turn of the 21st century.

Media in general:

The term media, which is the plural of medium, refers to the communication channels through which we disseminate news, music, movies, education, promotional messages and other data. It includes physical and online newspapers and magazines, television, radio, billboards, telephone, the internet, fax and billboards.

Question no 3:

What level of trust and credibility do people feel toward community journalists?

Answer:

For more than a generation, research has tried to identify the qualities that lead people to trust news. The work has concluded that in general people want journalism to be fair, balanced, accurate, and complete. It can unclear, however, what these broad factors mean or how news organizations can achieve them.

Even more challenging, these traditional conceptions of trust were formulated before the advent of the internet and did not account for all the ways that consumers today encounter news and publishers can deliver it.

Over the last two decades, research shows the public has grown increasingly skeptical of the news industry.

“if there is no trust, there is no relationship,’’ said Brandon, a lifestyle news consumer, during a focus group in the Philadelphia area. “why put energy into something I can’t trust when there are other resource that I can trust?

. The importance of maintaining credibility in journalism

the introduction of the internet to modern society has brought about a new age of information relation. Since there is no longer a need to wait until the next print day, news from all over the world is available at a person’s fingertips within hours or even minutes of the event. With this advent such easily accessible information, new problem for the news media have also arisen. Aside from the potentially losing good economic standing because newspaper are no longer being purchased in the quantities they use to be, the credibility of the information itself is also put into question, no one would argue that credibility of news source is unimportant, but there is a discrepancy in what takes precedence; economy and speed or getting the information our correctly at the first publishing by taking the time to make sure all facts are checked. The importance of having a system of checks on all information submitted is paramount. People trust what they read and believe it to be so without always questioning. If all information included to be checked thoroughly, there would be instances where people read an article only for information included to be wrong and they go on believing such information. This can be very dangerous as misinformed people make misinformed decisions. With an increase in error being made by citizen bloggers and even major publications, may are worried that journalistic ethics and credibility in the news media are being sacrificed in order to maintain swiftness in the news circuit and to retain personal profits. Thought getting information to be masses quickly is a major part of the media’s importance, this should not mean that credibility of the information being presented should be sacrificed for its sake. The bulk of media should still be presented from reliable, trained journalist who are able to present the information as accurately, as possible with checks on their source, instead of by those who pose possible to present problems for the truth of media. Without these checks, it is difficult to trust anything presented in a digital format completely.

Download attachment for MCM531 assignment 1 solution file.

Students kindly share assignment files in relevant subject timely for discussion/solution.
or directly share with us " Click here"
QueryVU Telegram Groups subject wise Join Now
QueryVU WhatsApp groups subject wise Join Now

Share: